Thomas Falls to Western Connecticut State University

Thomas Falls to Western Connecticut State University

WATERVILLE, ME – The Thomas College ice hockey team lost Saturday afternoon by a final score of 8-4 to Western Connecticut State University. Michael Hersom led the Terriers, scoring two goals on the day.

Western Connecticut State got out to the early lead, when Mike McRoy scored just under five minutes into the game.  Thomas would answer however, when Hersom netter a goal off of a pass from Alexander Nadeau just three minutes later.

The Colonials would fire right back, however, when Nick Mangone found the back of the net less than a minute later.  WCSU would add a late goal when Tim Hanlon beat the Thomas netminder with just 11 seconds remaining in the period to give them a 3-1 lead going into the locker room.

The visitors once again came out firing, with Mangone taking a pass from McRoy and finding the back of the net just over three minutes into the second period.  With just under six minutes to play in the second, Thomas forward Garron LaFountain took a faceoff win and turned it into a power play goal, drawing the home team within two, at 4-2. 

Less than two minutes later, Thomas once again scored a power play goal, with Hersom netting his second goal of the game on an assist from Jason Dicey.  Once again, however, WCSU had the late period magic, with Mangone finding the back of the net with under 15 seconds to play, giving the Colonials a 5-3 going into the final stanza.

Thomas and WCSU would trade a pair of early third period goals to put the score at 6-4 with 16 minutes to play in the game. Western Connecticut's Nicholas Blaszka took a pass from Joe Gaudette and turned it into a goal, while Thomas's Tim Bradford took a pass from Eric Morin and found the twine.  Gaudette would once again be involved in the action, when he took a pass from Nick Garofalo and beat the goalie to give his team a 7-4 lead. 

With just over three minutes remaining to play, Thomas pulled the goalie to gain an extra skater, however WCSU's Nate Dudley found the empty net to seal the win at 8-4.

Thomas goaltender Michael Small made 27 saves on the day while facing 34 shots.  Colonials' goalie Cam Clark had 23 saves on 27 shots against for the game.  The Terriers won the faceoff battle on the day, by a tally of 25-17.  The two teams combined for a total of 22 penalties in the game.

The Terriers will be back in action next Saturday, December 13, when they travel to Daniel Webster.  Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.