Thomas Takes Down Hounds, 4-2 in Conference Opener

Thomas Takes Down Hounds, 4-2 in Conference Opener

WATERVILLE, ME—Thomas College defeated Colby College, 4-2 Monday night in a Central Maine Collegiate Conference (CMCC) match-up at Sukee Arena. The Terriers improve to 4-7 with the victory.

Thomas came out slow in the opening minutes, allowing Colby to score a quick goal just five seconds into the contest. Thomas eventually got into a groove, responding by possessing the puck in the neutral zone and keeping out of their end. Play would continue to be in the favor of the Terriers, as Matt Letellier found the back of the twine with four minutes remaining in the period, noting the score at 1-1. Thomas would keep up the offensive zone pressure, while adding a second goal with 30 seconds left in the period by Garron LaFountain, assisted by Eric Morin.

The second period saw Colby come out with the momentum, firing multiple shots on goaltender Tanner Brooks. He would be called upon to make a glove save from the hash marks to keep Thomas up, 2-1 in the opening minutes. Michael Hersom had a great chance to put the Terriers up 3-1, but his shot went a bit wide and rang the goal post. The action continued to be back and forth until the Hounds received a two minute minor for tripping. Thomas capitalized on the power play, netting a goal 1:10 into it as Kyle Mangin was the goal scorer with the assist coming from Hersom.

Colby scored a quick goal to start off the third period to pull within a goal of the Terriers. Thomas didn't wait long to get back to a two goal lead when Tyler Harnden found the back of the net with a rip from the hash marks, making the score 4-2. Brooks would be called upon to make a few big saves after the goal. Play continued to be back and forth for the rest of the period with neither team finding the back of the net.

Terrier netminder Brooks made 23 saves in the winning effort.

Thomas will be back in action next Monday, Jan. 13 as they take on Maine Maritime Academy at 9:45pm.